New York Fashion Week Favourites: SS17

24 Sept 2016

I genuinely can't believe it's that time of year again where the various fashion weeks are upon us - well, now they're nearly over since I'm so late posting this but hey... It feels like only yesterday I was trawling through images from the SS16 catwalks for my uni assignment and here I am now obsessing over SS17. For a girl who loves Autumn/Winter fashion, I sure have been converted to loving Spring collections these past few seasons - and this one is no different. Here we have my favourites from New York's runways:

MARISSA WEBB 
A long-time favourite of mine, Marissa Webb's collections are the epitome of wearable fashion for the modern woman. This season her selection of textures, prints and colours worked harmoniously with darker jackets toughening up silk and lace while brights contrasted with pure white. Tie-up waists seen on skirts and trousers (the leather options are my personal favourites) and ruffles provided the most flattering silhouettes. Not forgetting to mention how pretty the make up look was, too. Webb continues to impress me season after season. 

CUSHNIE ET OCHS
Cushnie et Ochs's SS17 collection didn't sway from their signature style that I love, consisting of easy evening dresses and wide leg trouser and crop top combos. If you don't like the cut-out or cold shoulder trend this isn't one for you, but the garment shapes which nod towards the 70s are what attract me to this collection. The looks appear feminine, effortless and breezy yet still glamorous. One of my favourite pieces is the pink jumpsuit but there are many other red-carpet worthy contenders too.

TIBI
An easy transition from the brand's previous Autumn/Winter collection, for Tibi SS17 will be all about wearability and functionality - I mean, one look included actual jeans. Khaki, navy, denim and pinstripes are not necessarily what you'd instantly associate with Spring/Summer dressing but paired with billowing sleeves and tailored shorts it works, offering a very sleek look perfect for those wanting to look more sophisticated throughout the warmer months. 

JONATHAN SIMKHAI 
I feel that I need not say much more than "silk dresses", as these were the highlight of Jonathan Simkhai's SS17 offerings for me . Feminine, romantic and fluid - when you look at this collection it's impossible not to fall for it. The attention to detail on some garments is so evident it's almost couture-like. The inclusion of denim is unexpected but contrasts well with the delicate dresses and slinky skinny scarves - speaking of which, I have a feeling these will become a new must-have accessory for next Spring.

ALEXANDER WANG
I haven't loved one of Alexander Wang's collections for a while but SS17 is one I can totally get on board with. Streetwear and sports luxe meet classic wardrobe staples with a twist to create an utterly unique collection differing from any of the designer's others. The inclusion of lace and criss-cross detailing emphasising the waistline adds a feminine touch to contrast with the masculine connotations provided by the pinstripes and oversized shirts and blazers.

NARCISO RODRIGUEZ
Narciso Rodriguez is one of my all-time favourite designers who shows at NYFW and he didn't disappoint this season. He does simplicity so well with clean-cut, minimalistic pieces forming the majority of the Spring 17 collection. Think sheer shirt dresses, black trousers and duster coats with some additional more evening-appropriate pieces. Interest is added with metallic silver pieces and pops of orange.

MARCHESA
Pretty 3D floral applique gowns in dusty, muted shades opened the show proving that Marchesa's SS17 collection was unsurprisingly fit for a princess. However, this slowly transitioned into some darker looks which were just as striking but perhaps more suited to the rebellious sister. How would I describe this collection in one word? Dreamy. I either need to become a princess or get rich pronto just so I can float around in a Marchesa dress as if it were a totally normal thing to do. 

BRANDON MAXWELL 

In comparison to Marchesa's 'more is more' outlook, Brandon Maxwell provides eveningwear that could actually be worn in the real world. The designer came to my attention after seeing Karlie Kloss's Met Gala look this year and his SS17 collection is filled with wearable trends that I adore. Ruffles, wide leg trousers, silk tops, thigh high slits and a colour palette that could be worn all year round - you can't ask for a lot more than that.

What were your favourite shows from NYFW? See more looks that I love on Pinterest.


NB: Apologies for posting this so late - I am interning with Temperley London again but I still wanted to include my usual fashion week content as it's one of my favourite things to write about even though it can be time-consuming. Stay tuned for more as I am going to try and cover my favourites from the other fashion cities too!

1 comment

  1. Love each photo. The outfit is stunning!
    Good vibes, FOX
    check out my blog www.rochellefox.com.au and my latest VLOG

    ReplyDelete

© Freya Ella. Design by FCD.